What should I do if I think a fundraiser is fraudulent?
While the vast majority of fundraisers that are started on Ever Loved follow our guidelines and use the funds raised appropriately, on very rare occasions, people may try to take advantage of the generosity of others and use the funds for something other than the stated purpose.
Doing so is not only against our terms of service, but also illegal. We take these rare occurrences very seriously and appreciate any help you can provide in ensuring that funds go where they are intended to go.
If you feel that a fundraiser on our website is illegitimate, or that the person who created the fundraiser has used the money for any purposes other than what was stated in the fundraising note, please follow the steps below to assist us in resolving the issue as quickly as possible.
- If you know the fundraiser organizer and have their contact information, reach out to them and request proof that funds are going towards the stated cause. You can see the name of the memorial page creator by scrolling to the bottom of the page. There will be a spot that says "Created with love by _____."
- If you do not know the fundraiser organizer, or haven't received any information from them, please contact us by phone or by email with a detailed description of the situation and why you don’t think the funds are being used for the stated purpose. If you have proof (receipts, documentation, etc.) that the funds have not reached the stated destination, please include that proof in your contact with us.
- We will contact the organizer and deactivate the fundraiser if we do not hear a response from them within 24 hours.
- After fundraiser is deactivated, we will reach out to the fundraiser organizer a second time. If another 24 hours pass and we haven't received a response from the fundraiser organizer, we will contact you and let you know.
- If a fundraiser organizer does not respond to contact attempts by either you or us, the next step is to file a police report. Police reports allow our company to work in tandem with law enforcement to retrieve funds that were used inappropriately or funds that weren’t used towards their stated cause. When you get in touch with the police and file a report, please explain the situation and include a link to the memorial page. Let the officer assigned to the case know that they can reach us at email@example.com or by phone at 833-300-6840 for further information.
Please note that once your donation has been transferred to the bank account of the fundraiser, we are unable to process a refund, because we no longer have the funds to give back to you. That said, we will work with our users and law enforcement in any way we reasonably can to ensure that funds donating through our site are used appropriately or returned to you as quickly as possible.